Monday, April 26, 2010

Taking a short break

It seems I have some sort of ankle/foot injury that has flared up, so I am taking a break from trying to run. The Vibram FiveFingers are still comfortable for walking, biking, and other activities, but running is a bit too much of an impact right now. This is probably a good time to explain that I have several old foot injuries that could be exacerbated by certain activities, such as running.

When I was a gymnast, I broke my foot, and I have had pain associated with that in the past -- even after healing. I also had heel issues during that time, and I taped both feet/ankles for each practice and iced afterwards (3-4 times per week). Injuries like that were one reason I ended up quitting in the end. Later in high school, I joined the track team for a season -- but quickly had to stop running and become a manager due to these old injuries causing pain. It seems that whatever injuries I had/have do not like the impact of running very much, even though dancing, jumping, walking, hiking, etc. all seem to be just fine.

I am seeing a sports medicine doctor tomorrow to see what they think the problem may be and see how I should handle it based on what exactly is injured in there. It has been getting progressively better over the last few days, so I am hoping that continues. However, I need to avoid this in the future, so I am hoping to find some solutions. I don't think it is muscular, so I am curious to know what else may be causing it (ligaments, tendons, bones....hopefully not.....)

I still do not blame this on the Vibram FiveFingers. I have a health issue that is prone to flaring up, which I know from previous experiences. I still hope to wear these for the 5K Run A Muck Mud and Music Festival in May if I can. If not for the run, I plan to carry them to change into for the mud pits. :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it is the shoes doing it, either. Let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete